Howard University Hospital (HUH) is a private, non- profit institution recognized for its ground breaking research and teaching programs. HUH has a rich tradition of leadership and service dating back to 1862. Over the course of its 150 year history of providing the finest primary, secondary, and tertiary health care services, HUH has become one of the most comprehensive health care facilities in the Washington, DC metropolitan area and designated a DC Level 1 Trauma Center.
Competitive pay, 403-B Savings (Howard contributes a sum equal to 6% of your pay from your date of hire. Howard matches up to 2% of what you invest. Both Howard’s contributions and the contributions that you make to the plan are yours, and you are immediately vested 100%. Comprehensive medical and dental plans Prescription Drug Benefits. Discount on optical wear at the HUH Optical Shop, Pet Insurance, Wellness Rewards Program, Tuition remission for employees and dependents, Low-cost onsite parking, SmartTrip Commuter Transit and Parking Benefits, and more!
Coordinates the communications at the central desks in the Nursing Departments/Units and other locations as directed between the Nursing Departments/Units, and all other hospital and clinical and non-clinical staff, Departments and Units. Creates and timely maintains patient charts and other records. Works in accordance with Department/Unit and Hospital policies and procedures.
NATURE AND SCOPE:
Interacts with patients, their families, immediate staff members, hospital and university personnel, physicians, outside agencies and the general public.
- Provides and assures patient centered, cost efficient, safe, culturally competent, linguistically sensitive and quality services and adheres to accrediting and regulatory agency regulations.
- Professionally and courteously communicates with patient/family, physicians and staff, and collaborates with patient/family and health care team. .
- Communicates all relevant information to the patient and appropriate health care team members. Interacts with physicians and other staff members for timely flow of information.
- Answers the telephone and intercom system in a timely, pleasant and courteous manner. Directs callers; accepts, records and delivers messages; makes calls to all other departments, as required and/or directed; receives and directs visitors, patients, and staff; monitors and controls the flow of traffic.
- Functions as a team member and offers assistance when needed in order to organize and prioritize responsibilities in completing daily work requirements.
- Maintains patient charts and unit records in accordance with established procedures and applicable laws and regulations.
- Performs all clerical and administrative duties related to all hospital operations and procedures.
- Updates and maintains all reports in all patient charts.
- Prepares, maintains and produces patient records for hospital billing, patient communications, diagnostic and therapeutic procedures, surgery and other patient care needs from admission through discharge.
- Adapts accordingly to new technology and new equipment as needed to perform duties or tasks.
- Maintains an adequate stock of supplies and functioning equipment and confirms availability of required unit-based equipment, to include utilizing applicable hospital information system.
- Maintains work station and bulletin board (including currency of information) in a neat and orderly manner; files and replaces charts, forms, books, etc. to their proper location.
- Utilizes the logbook and computer for order entry purposes, data entry, and to retrieve and update patient data, including all aspects of unit-level admitting, transferring and discharge process.
- Transcribes all practitioner’s orders from admission through discharge
- Requests and performs transportation services including supplies, specimens and patients in wheelchairs on demand.
- Use of Teletracking system for various Hospital operations and staff activities.
- Prompt response to call lights and notification to patient care staff of patient care needs.
- Distributes mail.
- Conducts rounds at the beginning and end of every shift and as directed to ensure room readiness, accuracy of patient census, patient identification, and bed identification.
- Listens to customer concerns and refers them in a prompt manner to the appropriate staff member.
- Reconciles unit-level patient census in accordance with hospital policy and procedure.
- Calls in special teams as directed.
- Accurately captures unit-specific telemetry charges.
- Maintains appropriate workflow and patient tracking system, where required.
- Receives dietary requests and timely transmits requests to o Dietary before cut-off time for next meal.
- Attends all identified classes and in-services required to maintain skills to perform job functions.
- Promotes adherence to the Health Sciences Compliance Program, the Howard University Code of Ethics and the Health Sciences Standards of Conduct.
- Attends annual and periodic mandatory Compliance Program training including the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Privacy training.
- Participates in activities that promote adherence to federal healthcare program requirements.
- Actively participates in Health Sciences Compliance Program activities.
- Adheres to the requirements of the HIPAA Privacy Policies and Procedures.
- Maintains confidentiality of patients, families, and staff.
- Enters charges for patient services and supplies.
- Achieve appropriate Hospital performance, quality and productivity standards as established.
- Establishes and maintains effective and harmonious work relationships with patients, visitors, staff, physicians, Hospital and University officials, and the general public.
- Assumes other duties and responsibilities that are related and appropriate to the position and area. The above responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this classification and are not to be considered as all-inclusive.
- Knowledge to use word and data processing and communications equipment efficiently and accurately
- Ability to input and extract data accurately to assure safe patient care
- Ability to communicate in linguistically sensitive manner.
- Knowledge of departmental policies and procedures in order to insert laboratory, EKG and other test reports on charts in a timely and efficient manner.
- Ability to maintain patient charts and unit records in accordance with established procedures.
- Demonstrates proper professional and telephone etiquette at all times.
- Exceptional customer service skills essential.
- Ability to maintain professional attire while on duty.
- Competence in both oral and written English.
- Must demonstrate collaboration; accountability; respect; excellence; and service.
- Works with team members and peers in and outside of their immediate work group to create an exceptional experience for patients, students and other visitors; looks for ways to achieve departmental/institutional results by partnering.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions to provide health care and or ancillary functions in a highly efficient and compassionate manner. The employee must function as a Steward (Have Ownership) of the Howard values that foster a commitment to improving the patient and student experience, organizational efficiency and the environment.
- Embraces diversity; cares holistically for those we serve; treats all as we would like to be treated; manages the patient’s right to privacy with meticulous care 100% of the time and keeps patient and proprietary information about the institution confidential.
- Anticipates the patient’s and student’s needs, presents as a model representative of the institution and maintains high standards of care while striving to improve performance and create exceptional experiences for our customers.
- Behaves in a friendly, resourceful and professional manner towards all they encounter; treats patients, students and visitors in the same way that they would want their family members or themselves to be treated.
Must be able to stand, walk, sit, lift (supplies), stoop, bend, pull, push, reach, write, type (finger dexterity), file, speak, hear, see, interpret and organize for extended periods of time.
- High school graduate or General Equivalency Diploma (G.E.D.)
- One year of secretarial experience, preferred.
- Knowledge of Medical Terminology.
- Current American Heart Association BLS Certificate
- Basic computer skills