Howard University Hospital (HUH) is a private, non- profit institution recognized for its ground breaking research and teaching programs. HUH has a rich tradition of leadership and service dating back to 1862. Over the course of its more than 150 year history of providing the finest primary, secondary, and tertiary health care services, HUH has become one of the most comprehensive health care facilities in the Washington, DC metropolitan area and designated a DC Level 1 Trauma Center.
This position is the first in a series of two relating to that are involved in registration, admission, bed management, financial clearance and cash collection for services provided by Howard University Hospital. The purpose of this position is to obtain and verify demographic and financial information for all patients registered in the hospital and pre-registered prior to arriving at the hospital. The representative assigned to this position will also follow up to ensure information gathered during the registration admission process is accurately presented to third party payers or guarantors, by minimizing errors that would result in penalties or other delays in payments to the hospital. Incumbents in this position must perform all duties described in the assigned work area as determined and the specific staffing needs of the department. The employee must also be skilled in electronic scanning and documentation via all applicable systems. These functions are performed in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations and must also support the mission of Howard University Hospital.
NATURE AND SCOPE:
Interacts professionally with all hospital and university personnel, physicians, patients and insurance agencies.
- Contacts insurance carriers and/or reviews information from automated insurance verification systems to determine coverage and eligibility, i.e. EVS line and HDX eligibility
- Answers and responds to all phone calls, facsimiles, patient inquiries and requests in all assigned ancillary and clinic areas.
- Verifies and enters all information in all Siemens Invision registration pathways.
- Obtains patient demographic and insurance information
- Verifies eligibility and benefit information.
- Provides directions i.e. when to arrive, where to report and what documents to bring
- (Identification and Insurance cards, referrals etc.).
- Check In Registration
- Obtains and or re-verifies patient demographic and insurance information
- Obtains and scans all required documents in EDM (Insurance card, Identification card
- Obtains signatures on all required documents.
- Initiates and views HDX Eligibility and Search America application to screen all insurance plans during the registration process.
- Contacts patients, guarantors or family members for missing or erroneous data.
- Uses Siemens EDM (Electronic Document Management) to electronically capture and store documents in support of the creation of the patient’s hospital electronic record. This must be completed during the check-in or face-to-face registration process.
- Knows and adheres to government regulations relative to Medicare Secondary Payer (MSP) and Medicare Secondary Payer Questionnaire (MSPQ) and Advance Beneficiary Notice (ABN).
- Obtains signature and issues the “Important Message from Medicare” to all inpatients.
- Scans signed message in EDM.
- Obtains signatures on all required hospital and regulatory forms.
- Utilizes Soarian Scheduling and all other scheduling systems to make appointments for hospital clinics and ancillary departments.
- Schedule, reschedule and cancel appointments.
- Obtain patient demographics.
- Obtain insurance information.
- Obtain diagnosis, chief complaint and or reason for appointment.
- Supports the Nursing Staffing Office, physicians and hospital administrators with all unit bed placements. Utilizes Teletracking, Soarian Clinicals and Invision to complete all ADT transactions to document the patient type change.
- Accesses Teletracking for all direct admission requests.
- Accesses Teletracking and Soarian Clinicals, for all ECA bed requests.
- Assigns beds in Teletracking for all admissions.
- Confirms and completes all physician orders via Service Provide Workspace.
- Notifies all Behavioral Health agencies for immediate psychiatric admissions.
- Communicates all financial or insurance information to the Financial Counselors and Case Management when applicable.
- Completes all patient type changes (Observation and Inpatients) in Invision.
- Notifies immediate supervisor if any issues prevent the patient type transaction.
- Enters laboratory and radiology orders in all applicable hospital systems.
- Identifies all self-pay patients and those who may qualify for Medicaid and refer them to the appropriate teams who will complete all necessary applications.
- Accepts and secures all patient valuables when the Cashier’s Office is closed.
- Must cross train within all registration areas.
- Contributes to all team building exercises and workshops coordinated by department and hospital.
- Promotes adherence to the Health Sciences Compliance program, the Howard University Code of Ethics and the Health Sciences Standards of Conduct.
- Attends annual and periodic mandatory Compliance Program training including the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Privacy training.
- Participates in activities that promote adherence to federal healthcare program requirements.
- Actively participates in Health Sciences Compliance Program activities.
- Adheres to the requirements of the HIPAA Privacy Policies and Procedures.
- Maintains confidentiality of patients, families and staff.
- Assumes other duties and responsibilities that are related and appropriate to the position and area. The above responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this classification and is not to be considered as all-inclusive.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in both verbal and written form.
- Exhibits excellent customer service skills in all direct interactions with patients, family members, clinicians, third party payers, hospital employees and co-workers.
- Excellent public relations, customer service skills and telephone etiquette.
- Excellent interpersonal communication, problem solving and organizational skills.
- Proficiency in the use of computers and working knowledge of all Microsoft applications.
- Familiarity with JCAHO and all other regulatory requirements.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment with frequent interruptions.
- Ability to meet patient age-specific needs.
- Visual and auditory clarity.
- Competence in both oral and written English.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and harmonious work relationships with staff, physicians, Hospital and University officials and the general public.
- Must demonstrate collaboration; accountability; respect; excellence; and service.
- Works with team members and peers in and outside of their immediate work group to create an exceptional experience for patients, students and other visitors; looks for ways to achieve departmental/institutional results by partnering.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions to provide health care and or ancillary functions in a highly efficient and compassionate manner. The employee must function as a Steward (Have Ownership) of the Howard values that foster a commitment to improving the patient and student experience, organizational efficiency and the environment.
- Embraces diversity; cares holistically for those we serve; treats all as we would like to be treated; manages the patient’s right to privacy with meticulous care 100% of the time and keeps patient and proprietary information about the institution confidential.
- Anticipates the patient’s and student’s needs, presents as a model representative of the institution and maintains high standards of care while striving to improve performance and create exceptional experiences for our customers.
- Behaves in a friendly, resourceful and professional manner towards all they encounter; treats patients, students and visitors in the same way that they would want their family members or themselves to be treated.
High School Diploma or GED equivalent. Associate’s Degree preferred. Three (3) year’s experience in patient access/registration, billing, cash collections, insurance, pre-certifications or related experience in a medical center/physician office environment. Medical terminology preferred. Must be able to work rotating weekends and must be flexible to department needs and work all shifts (days evenings and nights) and holidays if needed. Consideration may be given to an appropriate combination of education training and experience. Must pass a typing test administered by the Human Resources Department.
Must be able to stand, walk, sit, lift (12-25lbs), bend, reach, handle, write, type, file, speak, hear, see, (color vision), calculate, compare, edit, evaluate, interpret, and organize for extended periods of time.
This position description should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as may be required. The hospital has the right to revise this position description at any time. This position description is not be construed as a contract for employment.
The Hospital does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin, sex, marital status, religion, or disability. Veteran status and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Inquiries regarding provisions for persons with disabilities, equal employment opportunity and Title IX should be directed to the Office of Employee Relations and Equal Employment Opportunity at (202) 202-806-1316.
This is an Agency Shop position, which requires the payment of Union fees.
Job Type: Full-time
- High school or equivalent
Must be able to stand, walk, sit, lift (supplies), stoop, bend, pull, push, reach, write, type (finger dexterity), file, speak, hear, see, interpret and organize for extended periods of time.
- patient access/registration, billing, cash collections, insurance, pre-certifications in a medical center/physician's office or other related: 3 years