Provides support to patients receiving diagnostic radiology exams.
NATURE AND SCOPE:
Provides radiology services to patients of all age groups from newborn to geriatric groups. Interacts with physicians, families, and personnel from other hospital departments.
After cross-training as directed and determined by the Hospital, provides CT Scan and/or MRI services
- Identifies each patient and reviews their information for consistency of the exam ordered with clinical diagnosis and all demographic information.
- Accesses the patient’s condition and utilizes supportive and immobilization equipment and devices to ensure patient safety throughout the exam.
- Uses appropriate technique and shielding combination to obtain optimal images while adhering to ALARA principles, including documentation of LMP and pregnancy.
- Reviews each exam for technical accuracy, and completes the exam process per RIS protocols.
- Properly identifies anatomical orientation and ensures proper film identification on all images.
- Organizes patient care and sets priorities by assessing critical care first and by implementing physician’s orders.
- Operates stationary and mobile radiographic equipment.
- Contributes to efficient operations of the department.
- The employee is expected to achieve appropriate Hospital performance and productivity standards as established.
- The employee will perform other duties that further the customer service needs of the unit, such as answering phones, greeting and escorting patients, and administrative and clerical duties upon demand. These may include entering orders, obtaining lab results (electronically or via phone call), printing CD’s and reports, scheduling appointments and call to obtain referral if appropriate.
- The employee will respond to emergent and urgent patient and operational issues.
- The employee on occasion may be requested to cover part or all of other shifts, and/or be on call.
- The employee will obtain necessary certifications as required by regulatory agencies.
- May prepare and administer contrast media for patient examinations.
- Assists in student training and participates in ongoing in-service training programs.
- Assures that all work areas are maintained in a clean and sanitary manner.
- Reports all safety hazards that could harm patients, visitors, or other hospital employees or supervisors, immediately at all times.
- Establishes and maintains good rapport and cooperative working relationships with co-workers within the department, hospital staff, patients, their families and other hospital/department visitors.
- Promotes adherence to the Health Sciences Compliance Program, the Howard University Code of Ethics and the Health Sciences Standards of Conduct.
- Attends annual and periodic mandatory Compliance Program training including the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Privacy training.
- Participates in activities that promote adherence to federal healthcare program requirements.
- Actively participates in Health Sciences Compliance Program activities.
- Adheres to the requirements of the HIPAA Privacy Policies and Procedures.
- Maintains confidentiality of patients, families, and staff including all hospital related information.
- Assumes other duties and responsibilities that are related and appropriate to the position and area. The above responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this classification and are not to be considered as all-inclusive.
- Knowledge of radiographic examinations to include general diagnostic procedures that may require the use of contrast agents.
- Knowledge of radiographic equipment operation and radiation safety.
- Knowledge of patient transfers and positioning techniques.
- Open, accurate and responsive communication both oral and written, on an individual basis or in groups.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks/projects and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrates the ability to perform all computer operations necessary to ensure proper exam documentation.
- Demonstration of ethical and professional conduct.
- Ability to lift moderate to heavy loads and standing for extensive time periods.
- Competence in both oral and written language.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and harmonious work relationships with staff, physicians, Hospital and University officials, and the general public.
- Must demonstrate collaboration; accountability; respect; excellence; and service.
- Works with team members and peers in and outside of their immediate work group to create an exceptional experience for patients, students and other visitors; looks for ways to achieve departmental/institutional results by partnering.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions to provide health care and or ancillary functions in a highly efficient and compassionate manner. The employee must function as a Steward (Have Ownership) of the
- Howard values that foster a commitment to improving the patient and student experience, organizational efficiency and the environment.
- Embraces diversity; cares holistically for those we serve; treats all as we would like to be treated; manages the patient’s right to privacy with meticulous care 100% of the time and keeps patient and proprietary information about the institution confidential.
- Anticipates the patient’s and student’s needs, presents as a model representative of the institution and maintains high standards of care while striving to improve performance and create exceptional experiences for our customers.
- Behaves in a friendly, resourceful and professional manner towards all they encounter; treats patients, students and visitors in the same way that they would want their family members or themselves to be treated.
- Associates degree from an accredited program and completion of an approved Radiologic Technology training program.
- Two (2) years of experience preferred.
- Registered Technologist through the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists.
- Current American Heart Association Basic Cardiac Life Support Card/BLS.
- Must be able to work some nights, weekends, and holidays as assigned.
Must be able to stand, walk, sit, lift (up to 250 lbs), stoop, pull, write, type, file, speak, hear, see (depth perception, color, vision), calculate, compare, edit, evaluate, interpret and organize for extended periods of time.