This is a brief overview of the position’s main function--usually one to four sentences.
Accountable for the management of the IT project portfolio and multiple major projects within the IT department.
Responsible to establish a project management culture within the department
Provides professional leadership and training to all stakeholders managing projects within the department.
Reports on the status of the IT project portfolio to IT management on at least a weekly basis.
Identifies and solves project risks and issues, and proposes changes to timeline, scope, or resources.
Responsible for the creation of all project artifacts, including the project charter and reports.
Defines and engages all project stakeholders (executive, sponsor, product owner, Subject Matter Experts, IT stakeholders, and vendor resources).
Accountable for project completion within scope, budget, and schedule from project planning to completion.
No direct reports
NATURE AND SCOPE
Internal contacts may include senior administrators, faculty, physicians, nurses, other clinicians, and staff.
External contacts may include partners, regulators, vendors, and contractors. Most importantly, incumbent needs to build and maintain cooperative relationship with vendor resources, including project managers supplied by vendors.
This is a list of the major (essential) responsibilities of the position. Statements in this section should include specific “action” verbs, such as “operates”, “schedules”, “prepares”, “calculates”, “plans”, “organizes”, “conducts”, etc, to describe each function.
- Accountable for the management of the IT project portfolio.
- Accountable for project completion within scope, budget, and schedule.
- Responsible for the management of multiple major projects within the IT department.
- Establishes a project management culture within the IT department.
- Provides professional leadership and training to all stakeholders managing projects within the IT department.
- Defines project scope, objectives, and resource needs.
- Defines and engages all project stakeholders (executive, sponsor, product owner, Subject Matter Experts, IT stakeholders, and vendor resources).
- Prepares and manages project budgets.
- Reports on the status of the IT project portfolio to IT management on at least a weekly basis and helps to identify and correct project risks and issues.
- Proposes changes to project timeline, scope, or resources.
- Responsible for the creation of project artifacts, including the project charter, detailed project schedules, and work plans.
- Serves as the liaison between the project teams and IT management.
- Defines and measures project progress metrics and presents progress to IT management and various other audiences.
- Utilizes industry best practices, techniques, and standards throughout entire project execution.
Assumes other duties and responsibilities that are related and appropriate to the position and area. The above responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this classification and are not to be considered as all-inclusive.
Promotes adherence to the Health Sciences Compliance Program, the Howard University Code of Ethics and the Health Sciences Standards of Conduct.
Attends annual and periodic mandatory Compliance Program training including the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Privacy training.
Participates in activities that promote adherence to federal healthcare program requirements.
Actively participates in Health Sciences Compliance Program activities.
Adheres to the requirements of the HIPAA Privacy Policies and Procedures.
Maintains confidentiality of patients, families, and staff.
Must demonstrate collaboration; accountability; respect; excellence; and service.
Works with team members and peers in and outside of their immediate work group to create an exceptional experience for patients, students and other visitors; looks for ways to achieve departmental/institutional results by partnering.
Accepts responsibility for his/her actions to provide health care and or ancillary functions in a highly efficient and compassionate manner. The employee must function as a Steward (Have Ownership) of the Howard values that foster a commitment to improving the patient and student experience, organizational efficiency and the environment.
Embraces diversity; cares holistically for those we serve; treats all as we would like to be treated; manages the patient’s right to privacy with meticulous care 100% of the time and keeps patient and proprietary information about the institution confidential.
Anticipates the patient’s and student’s needs, presents as a model representative of the institution and maintains high standards of care while striving to improve performance and create exceptional experiences for our customers.
Behaves in a friendly, resourceful and professional manner towards all they encounter; treats patients, students and visitors in the same way that they would want their family members or themselves to be treated.
- Proven ability to deliver results.
- Knowledge of project management industry best practices, frameworks, and tools.
- Proven ability to complete projects according to outlined scope, budget, and timeline.
- Proven ability to multi-task and manage multiple project parallel.
- Proven ability of attention to details.
- Knowledge and compliance with management best practices, company policies, business ethics and procedures.
- Proven ability to work independently and as part of a team with a “roll up your sleeves” attitude.
- Proven ability to solve problems creatively
- Experience seeing projects through the full life cycle
- Excellent analytical skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Experience with the management of enterprise software implementation projects.
Competence in both oral and written English.
Ability to establish and maintain effective and harmonious work relationships with staff, physicians, Hospital and University officials, and the general public.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Business Administration, or other similar area.
- At least five (5) years of progressive experience in project management and project portfolio management of IT projects in a healthcare organization.
- PMP Certification
- Experience with Agile project management.
- Must be able to stand, walk, sit, lift (12-25lbs), bend, write, type, file, speak, hear, see, calculate, compare, edit, evaluate, interpret and organize for extended periods of time.