Coordinates and assists patient registration, patient accounts, scheduling & referral processes and procedures for HUH providers. Serves as an interpreter for patients who do not speak English.
NATURE AND SCOPE:
- Interacts internally with patients, family members, physicians, HUH providers, and Hospital staff.
- Interacts externally with family members of patients, community agencies and the general public.
- Provides assistance by interpreting medical information/instructions for patients and or family members.
- Mediates between patients, health care provider and other departments. Develops programs ensuring patient satisfaction.
- Confirms patients for special procedures and/or routine clinic examinations by explaining preparations, if any, ensuring effective communications between patients, family members of patients, physician and staff.
- Gathers and organizes office activity data for statistical and reporting purposes.
- Assists patients in preparing for clinic visits, admissions, medical procedures and examinations by ensuring that all forms are properly completed, insurance, medical identification cards and registration information are accurate, and effective communication is established with the appropriate departments.
- Obtains patient charts and records while maintaining utilization of service logs under strict confidentiality and respect for patients’ privacy.
- Enters and coordinates all patient information into database and prepares monthly activity report.
- Interprets hospital regulations to patients such as, visiting hours, storing valuables, paying bills, clinic hours, waiting room procedures, discharge time, etc.
- Arranges to have patients escorted to other areas of the Hospital.
- Assists in interpretation and translation programs of the office.
- Pre-registers patients in person or by telephone securing all personal, financial, and demographical data required to complete registration process.
- Assists in the development of documents to be used in health fairs, meetings, special functions, newsletters, and other publications.
- Serves as interpreter/sight translator on call during week-ends and off shifts when required.
- Promotes adherence to the Health Sciences Compliance Program, the Howard University Code of Ethics and the Health Sciences Standards of Conduct.
- Attends annual and periodic mandatory Compliance Program training including the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Privacy training.
- Participates in activities that promote adherence to federal healthcare program requirements.
- Actively participates in Health Sciences Compliance Program activities.
- Adheres to the requirements of the HIPAA Privacy Policies and Procedures.
- Maintains confidentiality of patients, families, and staff.
- Assumes other duties and responsibilities that are related and appropriate to the position and area. The above responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this classification and are not to be considered as all-inclusive.
- Ability to promote a service oriented approach for interaction with patients, staff, physicians, agencies, community based organizations and visitors.
- Ability to participate in community outreach programs such as health fairs and providing basic education to the general public.
- Ability to keep a flexible work schedule when required.
- Ability to maintain professionalism with patients and their families at all times.
- Ability to verify insurance eligibility and federal and state medical assistance programs.
- Knowledge in computer programs such as, Microsoft Word, Windows, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to follow routine/prescribed procedures and instructions.
- Competence in both oral and written English and Spanish.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and harmonious work relationships with staff, physicians, Hospital and University officials, and the general public.
- Must demonstrate collaboration; accountability; respect; excellence; and service.
- Works with team members and peers in and outside of their immediate work group to create an exceptional experience for patients, students and other visitors; looks for ways to achieve departmental/institutional results by partnering.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions to provide health care and or ancillary functions in a highly efficient and compassionate manner. The employee must function as a Steward (Have Ownership) of the Howard values that foster a commitment to improving the patient and student experience, organizational efficiency and the environment.
- Embraces diversity; cares holistically for those we serve; treats all as we would like to be treated; manages the patient’s right to privacy with meticulous care 100% of the time and keeps patient and proprietary information about the institution confidential.
- Anticipates the patient’s and student’s needs, presents as a model representative of the institution and maintains high standards of care while striving to improve performance and create exceptional experiences for our customers.
- Behaves in a friendly, resourceful and professional manner towards all they encounter; treats patients, students and visitors in the same way that they would want their family members or themselves to be treated.
High School or General Equivalency Diploma (G.E.D).
Current Spanish Medical Interpreter Certification from the Certification Commission for Healthcare Interpreters (CCHI) or the National Board of Certification for Medical Interpreters.
Four (4) years experience in a multilingual/multicultural environment including at least two (2) years in a medical environment.
Must be bilingual in English and Spanish.
Must be qualified as medical interpreter and have received at least forty (40) hours of training in health care and community settings.
This position requires mobility and access to and from the ER and department of Multi-Cultural Affairs.
Must be able to stand, walk, sit, write type file, speak, hear, edit, evaluate, interpret and organize for extended periods of time.