Under the general supervision of the trade's foremen inspects installs, repairs, modifies, and maintains wood, drywall, floor and ceiling tile, metal studs, cabinets and doors. Performs journeymen locksmith work, repairs and maintenance on automatic door closers, and other door hardware duties in the Health Center complex.
This position will not have any direct reports.
NATURE AND SCOPE
Interact(s) with staff, physicians, patients and their families, other healthcare providers, Hospital and University officials, and the general public.
- Assists with constructions, repairs, alterations, installations, and maintenance of wooden and metal structures.
- Assists with the constructions and installation of door frames, doors, inside walls, ceramic tile floors, ceilings, ceiling tile and grid, counters, closets, cabinets, shelves, casings, wood foundations, installs and finishes drywall and similar structures and lays beam.
- Assists with installation and repairs of various types of locks and locking devices; may cut keys and recombinants cylinders; will efficiently operate and properly handle all tools of the trade such as key cutting machines, lock picking tools and standard hand and power tools; installs and maintains various type of automatic door closers; maintains sufficient replacement parts and necessary tools for repairs and adjustments.
- Reads and accurately interprets drawings, blueprints, specifications and single line drawings necessary to complete the work.
- Assists with the operation and maintenance of hand, stationary, and portable power tools of the carpentry and locksmith trades, shop woodworking equipment and standard measuring equipment such as rules, levels, carpenters square and laser measuring and leveling devices.
- Ensures work is done in an acceptable manner observing the appropriate trade practice and safety procedures.
- Assumes other duties and responsibilities that are related and appropriate to the position and area. The above responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this classification and are not to be considered as all-inclusive.
- Promotes adherence to the Health Sciences Compliance Program, the Howard University Code of Ethics, the Health Sciences Standards of Conduct and Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
- Attends annual and periodic mandatory Compliance Program training including the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Privacy training.
- Participates in activities that promote adherence to federal healthcare program requirements.
- Actively participates in Health Sciences Compliance Program activities.
- Maintains confidentiality of patients, families, and staff.
- The employee must demonstrate collaboration, accountability, respect, excellence, and service.
- The employee must work with team members and peers in and outside of their immediate work group to create an exceptional experience for patients, students and other visitors.
- The employee must accept responsibility for their actions to provide health care and/or ancillary functions in a highly efficient and compassionate manner. The employee must function as a Steward (Have Ownership) of the Howard University Hospital values that foster a commitment to improving the patient and student experience, organizational efficiency and the environment.
- The employee must embrace diversity and care holistically for those Howard University Hospital serves. They must treat all as they would like to be treated. They must manage the patient’s right to privacy and keep any proprietary information about the institution confidential.
- The employee must anticipates the needs of the patient and/or student. They must present themselves as a model representative of the institution and maintains high standards of care while striving to improve performance and create exceptional experiences for our patrons.
- The employee must behave in a friendly, resourceful and professional manner towards all individuals they encounter.
- Demonstrated knowledge of methods, techniques, and the safe use of tools used in carpentry and ceramic tile installation.
- Ability to work individually or as part of a team to complete projects on time.
- Demonstrated knowledge of methods, techniques, and the safe use of tools used in carpentry and locksmith.
- Knowledge with applicable materials is required.
- Knowledge of automatic door closets.
- Knowledge of building trade codes and requirements including keying methods and function.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions, to read and interpret sketches, diagrams and blueprints.
- Competence in both oral and written English.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and harmonious work relationships with staff, physicians, Hospital and University officials, and the general public.
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- 1 year of related experience and/or training
Must be able to stand, walk, sit, lift (up to 50lbs), bend, write, type, file, speak, hear, see, calculate, compare, edit, evaluate, interpret and organize for extended periods of time.