Howard University Hospital (HUH) is a private, non- profit institution recognized for its ground breaking research and teaching programs. HUH has a rich tradition of leadership and service dating back to 1862. Over the course of its more than 150 year history of providing the finest primary, secondary, and tertiary health care services, HUH has become one of the most comprehensive health care facilities in the Washington, DC metropolitan area and designated a DC Level 1 Trauma Center.
Competitive pay, 403-B Savings (Howard contributes a sum equal to 6% of your pay from your date of hire. Howard matches up to 2% of what you invest. Both Howard’s contributions and the contributions that you make to the plan are yours, and you are immediately vested 100%. Comprehensive medical and dental plans Prescription Drug Benefits. Discount on optical wear at the HUH Optical Shop, Pet Insurance, Wellness Rewards Program, Tuition remission for employees and dependents, Low-cost onsite parking, SmartTrip Commuter Transit and Parking Benefits, and more!
BASIC FUNCTION :
This position is responsible for preparing supplies, equipment and operating rooms for surgical cases maintaining a sterile environment according to departmental policies and procedures. Performs scrub duties during surgical procedures.
NATURE AND SCOPE :
Interacts internally with physicians, registered nurses, suite attendants and instrument technicians in preparing supplies, equipment and room for surgical cases, other healthcare providers, patients and their families, Hospital and University officials and the general public.
CORE COMPETENCIES :
- Serves as scrub assistant during all types of surgical procedures including the areas of Neurosurgery, Cardiovascular, Thoracic, Orthopedic and Cardiac Surgery.
- Responsible for reviewing preference card and assuring all supplies, equipment, positioning aids and other items identified are available and in the room for scheduled surgical procedure.
- Assures patient positioning devices are in the room, ready and positioned to facilitate patient positioning.
- Equipment is prepositioned to maximize efficiency of case start.
- Packs and supplies are prepositioned to maintain sterile field while opening.
- Collaborates with Service Line Coordinators/Managers to maintain accuracy of Preference Cards.
- Responsible for preparation of the sterile field.
- Assists with opening supplies, packs, instruments and other items as needed.
- Responsible for gowning, gloving and preparation of the sterile field in a timely manner.
- Labels all medications on the sterile field.
- Assists with gowning and gloving as needed.
- Completes counts as appropriate following departmental policy.
- Maintains aseptic techniques and monitors sterile field.
- Assures proper identification and transfer of specimens.
- Reports problems with instruments and equipment ensuring proper tag out for follow up.
- Prepares dressings prior to closure to assure preparedness for end of procedure.
- Responsible for post procedure clean up and room preparation.
- Performs initial/gross cleaning of instruments to be sent to SPD for processing.
- Performs pre-clean and initial flush of lumen instruments, including rigid and flexible endoscopes
- Assists with between case room cleaning as needed to facilitate room turn over.
- Assists with cleaning of endoscopes as needed to facilitate patient through put.
- Utilizes proper procedures for contaminated cases and practice aseptic techniques.
- Responsible for monitoring room for traffic control, proper attire, and safety violations throughout procedure.
- Performs transport duties as needed to facilitate proper transport of patient throughout the perioperative stay.
- Collaborates with SPD to maintain instruments in good condition/working order through appropriate handling and identification/notification of repairs needed.
- Answers the telephone and take messages in the absence of the Operating Room Clerk.
- Reports incidents and/or injuries to the Charge Nurse or designee.
- Participates in maintaining the environment of care by being observant of the environment and appropriately identifying and reporting unsafe conditions to management or designee.
- Follows lock out/tag out procedures for malfunctioning equipment and reports to charge nurse/Clinical Service Manager or designee.
- Assists with departmental orientation and educational activities within scope of practice.
- Functions as preceptor for new staff when assigned.
- Performs other job-related scrub and support duties as assigned.
- Promotes adherence to the Health Sciences Compliance Program, the Howard University Code of Ethics and the Health Sciences Standards of Conduct.
- Attends annual and periodic mandatory Compliance Program training including the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Privacy training.
- Participates in activities that promote adherence to federal healthcare program requirements.
- Actively participates in Health Sciences Compliance Program activities.
- Adheres to the requirements of the HIPAA Privacy Policies and Procedures.
- Maintains confidentiality of patients, families, and staff.
- Assumes other duties and responsibilities that are related and appropriate to the position and area. The above responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this classification and are not to be considered as all-inclusive.
CARES CRITERIA :
- Demonstrated knowledge of the use of steam sterilizer and Steris System One.
- Knowledge of fundamentals of anatomy, sterilization procedures, aseptic techniques and care of instruments.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality of patient information.
- Ability to follow close verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to adhere to Hospital and department's policies and procedures at all times.
- Ability to maintain a professional manner at all times.
- Competence in both oral and written English.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and harmonious work relationships with staff, physicians, Hospital and University officials, and the general public.
- Must demonstrate collaboration; accountability; respect; excellence; and service.
- Works with team members and peers in and outside of their immediate work group to create an exceptional experience for patients, students and other visitors; looks for ways to achieve departmental/institutional results by partnering.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions to provide health care and or ancillary functions in a highly efficient and compassionate manner. The employee must function as a Steward (Have Ownership) of the Howard values that foster a commitment to improving the patient and student experience, organizational efficiency and the environment.
- Embraces diversity; cares holistically for those we serve; treats all as we would like to be treated; manages the patient’s right to privacy with meticulous care 100% of the time and keeps patient and proprietary information about the institution confidential.
- Anticipates the patient’s and student’s needs, presents as a model representative of the institution and maintains high standards of care while striving to improve performance and create exceptional experiences for our customers.
- Behaves in a friendly, resourceful and professional manner towards all they encounter; treats patients, students and visitors in the same way that they would want their family members or themselves to be treated.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS :
- High school or General Equivalency Diploma (G.E.D.).
- Graduate of an Accredited training program for Operating Room Technicians.
Must be able to stand, walk, sit, lift (up to 50lbs), climb, pull, push, speak, hear, see (depth perception), calculate, evaluate, interpret and organize for extended periods of time.
May be required to assist patients on and off the operating room table.
This position description should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as may be required. The hospital has the right to revise this position description at any time. This position description is not be construed as a contract for employment.
The Hospital does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin, sex, marital status, religion, or disability. Veteran status and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Inquiries regarding provisions for persons with disabilities, equal employment opportunity and Title IX should be directed to the Office of Employee Relations and Equal Employment Opportunity at (202) 202-806-1316.
This is an Agency Shop position, which requires the payment of Union fees
Job Type: Full-time
- High school or equivalent
- Operating Room or Surgical Technician/Technologist: 1 year
Required licenses or certifications:
- Graduate of an Accredited training program for OR Technician
- Current American Heart Association BLS Certification