The incumbent in this position will analyze, plan, implement, maintain, troubleshoot and enhance the Hospital’s systems infrastructure including the on premise and Cloud based deployments. The incumbent will monitor all of the networked systems and associated operating systems as well IT security and IT Disaster recovery systems.
No direct reports
NATURE AND SCOPE:
- Internal contacts may include employees in the Information Systems department, senior administrators, faculty, physicians and staff.
- Collaborate with team to ensure smooth and reliable operation of the systems of Howard University Hospital.
- Lead the day-to-day operational support for server, storage or network infrastructures.
- Serves as a senior technical architect and systems integrator for large complex systems and/or networks
- Review the effectiveness and efficiency of existing systems; develop and implement strategies for improving the current IT systems.
- Make updates to system related installation documentation
- Performs complex storage and server data backup, data migration and disaster recovery operations.
- Performs complex software and operating system upgrades and track system licensing.
- Provides technical support escalation to users by troubleshooting problems related to network or platform performance.
- Provides technical guidance and assistance to other IS Engineers and IS Administrators.
- Assumes other duties and responsibilities that are related and appropriate to the position and area. The above responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this classification and are not to be considered as all-inclusive.
- Promotes adherence to the Health Sciences Compliance Program, the Howard University Code of Ethics and the Health Sciences Standards of Conduct.
- Attends annual and periodic mandatory Compliance Program training including the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Privacy training.
- Participates in activities that promote adherence to federal healthcare program requirements.
- Actively participates in Health Sciences Compliance Program activities.
- Adheres to the requirements of the HIPAA Privacy Policies and Procedures.
- Maintains confidentiality of patients, families, and staff.
- Must demonstrate collaboration; accountability; respect; excellence; and service.
- Works with team members and peers in and outside of their immediate work group to create an exceptional experience for patients, students and other visitors; looks for ways to achieve departmental/institutional results by partnering.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions to provide health care and or ancillary functions in a highly efficient and compassionate manner. The employee must function as a Steward (Have Ownership) of the Howard values that foster a commitment to improving the patient and student experience, organizational efficiency and the environment.
- Embraces diversity; cares holistically for those we serve; treats all as we would like to be treated; manages the patient’s right to privacy with meticulous care 100% of the time and keeps patient and proprietary information about the institution confidential.
- Anticipates the patient’s and student’s needs, presents as a model representative of the institution and maintains high standards of care while striving to improve performance and create exceptional experiences for our customers.
- Behaves in a friendly, resourceful and professional manner towards all they encounter; treats patients, students and visitors in the same way that they would want their family members or themselves to be treated.
- Demonstrated high level of integrity
- Must have critical and analytical thinking and decision making skills and the ability to make good judgment under uncertainty and stress
- Must possess deep and broad knowledge of various enterprise technologies including but not limited to enterprise architecture, data center, server & desktop visualization, wired & wireless networking, disaster recovery, business continuity, hardware lifecycle management, cloud, database administration, and information security.
- Proficiency in the operation of computers, related software applications (word-processing, spreadsheet, database, graphic presentations, as well as other standard office equipment information systems, etc) and standard office equipment.
- Ability to produce clear reports and presentations.
- Ability to assist in facilitating progressive change
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing with a diverse population
- Ability to operate independently and within a team environment
- Ability to exercise discretion and ensure high level of confidentiality
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and harmonious work relationships with staff, physicians, Hospital and University officials, and the general public.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science or other from an accredited college or university required.
- Master’s degree preferred.
- 5 – 10 years of related experience
- Experience with virtualization, automation and orchestration technologies
- Experience designing, implementing and maintaining highly available and fault-tolerant systems
- Experience with public, private and hybrid clouds including hosted, SaaS, PaaS, and IaaS delivery models
- Passion for root cause analysis and troubleshooting
- Industry certifications are a plus
- Health care IT and Cyber security experience are a plus.
- Must be able to stand, walk, sit, lift (30 lbs), bend, write, type, file, speak, hear, see, calculate, compare, edit, evaluate, interpret and organize for extended periods of time.